Tuesday 4 April 2017

Preparing your Toddler for a New Baby





We're getting closer and closer to becoming a family of four. The days and weeks have been flying past us and in all honesty, I don't know where that last 33 weeks have gone. But something I've thought about a lot in that time, and I'm sure it's a topic that gets every parent thinking, or even worrying, is how will our toddler adjust to becoming a big brother/sister? It's a big transition to go from being the baby of the family, having your parents and grandparents undivided attention to there suddenly being someone else in the picture that's smaller and needier than yourself.

It's one of the questions I'm asked most when chatting to family, friends, pretty much anyone I meet, 'Is Archie excited about the baby?' and to be honest, it's a difficult one to answer. For quite a few months I really don't think he had any concept of what a new baby meant. He had just turned 2 when I became pregnant again, and as he hasn't really been around that many young babies he really didn't have a clue. I think he though we were all mad! I think we all would at 2 if we were constantly being told that there's a baby in Mummy's tummy! (Sometimes I can't even get my head around it!)

I thought I would share what we've been doing over the past few months to help him understand more about what's about to happen, and adjust to the idea of becoming a big brother. Each of these little tips have either worked for us so far, or we're going to be trying once the baby arrives, so although I'm no expert, I thought I would write them all down in the hopes that it might help some of you going through a similar time in your life. I also wanted to share with you some of these photos because even though I'm so excited for there to be a brand new baby in the house, I feel sad that this chapter of it just being the 3 of us is nearly over.








A Special Arrival
1. A bit obvious but a good place to start is telling your little one about the new baby and see what response they have. This will obviously vary greatly depending on their age and level of understanding. I think it's really important to make it all feel special and tell them what an amazing big brother or sister they'll be to try and get them excited about the idea too. Maybe the new baby could 'write' them a card letting them know they're looking forward to meeting them. We also got Archie a T-Shirt which says big brother and he loved this! I think we can underestimate toddlers sometimes, and assume that if they can't see something they won't be able to grasp the concept, but Father Christmas and The Easter Bunny are big deals in the house, so even though the baby might not seem real to them just yet, they understand something exciting is going to happen.

Love The Bump
2. Try not to put too much pressure on them to love/cuddle/kiss your bump. This was definitely what I was doing in the early days as I thought it would help him understand it more, but I think sometimes it can be a bit too much for them. If your toddler is anything like mine, they will just want to do the opposite, so pick your moments wisely, but when they do decide that baby needs a bit of love, lots of praise works really well and nothing prepares you for the first time your belly gets a random kiss or cuddle. I definitely cried!

Baby Books
3. Something that's helped massively is reading Archie books about becoming a big brother/sister. We noticed a big change in the way he understood what was happening after we had read them a few times. He seemed more excited and gentle and started talking about 'his baby' a lot more. There are some really lovely books on this subject. Here are the ones we got but I'm sure there are lots more: 1 2 3

Helping Hand
4. Get them involved in preparing for the new baby. Let them help with washing and folding their siblings clothes (even if it takes 10 times as long). Archie has really enjoyed helping us open anything that's arrived for the baby, and putting things like the pram together. It's also great to get them a doll around this time if they don't already have one. They can help you put a nappy or a baby grow on it, or push them around in the pram to see what it'll be like when the real baby arrives.

A Gift From The Baby
5. This one might not be for everyone but we decided to tell Archie that his baby brother is going to be bringing him a present when he's born. He's been so excited, and reminds us all the time that his brother's bringing him 'The Look Out" (Paw patrol for anyone lucky enough not to know) when he arrives. I totally get that some might not be comfortable about doing this and it shouldn't be about presents but one of my earliest memories is actually of a little pink box filled with tiny nappies and a baby bottle for my dolls which my little brother gave to me when he was born. I think it's the start of building the bond they'll have as siblings and we've told him he can get a present for the baby too.

Meeting The Baby
6.  Something that a few people have suggested and I actually think I'll try is to have the new baby in their cot/crib next to you instead of holding them when your toddler comes to see you both for the first time. It really might not make any difference but it makes sense that it could be quite confusing for a toddler to see their Mummy holding another baby. It only needs to be for the first few minutes, but giving him some attention first before picking up the baby and introducing them to each other seems like a more gentle way to go. But I'd love to know if anyone else did this and what happened when your children met for the first time.

So they're just a few ways in which we've been trying to help Archie transition into becoming a big brother. Of course the most important thing to remember is that with such a small age gap, one day he might not even remember a time when his baby brother wasn't here! But whatever his reaction when the time finally does come, I know he'll become the best big brother. I'm already so proud of him.

I'd love to hear any tips or your experiences, if you've already gone from one baby to two! Any advice is much appreciated!

Love Kate x

I'm wearing: Night Shirt: Primark 
Archie wears: Yoga Pants & Top by Baby Mori

SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Cute :)
    M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/search/label/MariaV.
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was cured of HIV with the used of natural herbs. My name is celina jolly
      and am from US. I love herbs so much. Most times, injection and drugs are
      just a waste of time. I was cured 8months ago, i suffered from HIV for
      13yrs but with the help of Dr. voodoo herbal medicine, i was cured within
      few weeks of drinking the herbs he sent to me through courier delivery
      service. This same doctor also cured my Aunty from herpes, as soon as i
      heard she had herpes, i quickly refer her to Dr. voodoo and she was cured
      too after drinking his herbs.I have referred more than 15 persons to Dr.
      voodoo and they were all cured from their various illness. Have you taken
      herbs before?. You have spent so much money on drugs,injections,surgeries
      etc and yet you have no good result to show for it. Contact Dr. voodoo now,
      he is a herbalist doctor, i assured you of a cure if you drink his natural
      herbs. Dr. voodoo have herbs that cures HIV, Herpes, diabetics, asthma,
      hepatitis, HBP, STD, cancer, chronic, etc. Contact Dr voodoo through his
      Email address on: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or WHATSAP/CALL
      him on +2348140120719 Please share the good news to other people once you are cured

      Delete

  2. An amazing testimony on a Native Iya Hindi root and herbs who help me to get pregnant, So me and my partner have been trying for a baby for the last 2 years now. I don’t have a regular cycle so it is hard for me to tell when I’m ovulating or not, but we always have sex at least 3 times a week, sometimes more. I know it can take up to a year to conceive but everyone i know who have had a baby have conceived within 2-3months of trying and it is really getting to me. my partner had a fertility test about a year ago and his sperm were fine. I’m thinking it could be a problem with me but I’ve never had any symptoms of any problems. My partner does smoke and have the occasional drink, and i used to smoke and also have the occasional drink. i know i’m slightly overweight but that shouldn’t affect our chances too much, one faithful day my friend told me to contact Native Iya Hindi that help her sister, then i contact the email. hindinative@yahoo.com,He sent the Herbs to me and gave instruction on method after three weeks the doctor confirm that i am pregnant thank you Native Iya Hindi for helping me get a baby, I am thankful for all he had done. contact him via email:(hindinative@yahoo.com .Or whats App number+19145295224), if you are trying to get a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Eric Robert i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you, The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how i won the lottery. I am a man who believe that one day i will win the lottery.finally my dreams came through when i email Dr Sambo. and told him i need the lottery numbers. i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy until the day i meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give him a try.I contacted this man and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out i was among winners. i won 107,932,603.20 million Dollar. Dr. Sambo truly you are the best, with these man you can win millions of money through lottery. i am so very happy to meet these man, i will forever be grateful to you. Email him for your own winning lottery numbers .hies mail: divinespellhome@gmail.com or Divinespellhome@yahoo.com and you can also call him +2348145810121 THANKS..

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are fed up with all the empty promises and expensive treatments, that haven't reduce the risk of misscarrages and other complications.after years of trying to conceive and a failed IVF and a failed FET And if you also suffer from ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids, tubal obstruction, endometriosis or lazy ovaries or if your male partner has low sperm count or sperm motility disorders, then Dr Chale herbal medicine will help you treat most of these infertility related conditions while restoring your energy and vitality and giving you the healthy baby you've dreamed of for so long. course i have tried it and it worked out for now am pregnant with my baby with just two weeks of contacting him, after 4 years of us trying to conceive. Doctor with your herbs you have brought life into our marriage, am very grateful to you.contact him,chalesolution@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. ALL THANKS TO DR ODIA WITH HIS HERBAL ROOT AND HERBS AM COMPLETELY CURED FROM FIBROID
    I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must share to all fibroid patient in the world. i never believed that their could be any complete cure for fibroid with out going for surgery ,i saw people’s testimony on internet on how Dr ODIA prepare herbal root and herbs that shrink there fibroid naturally. i had to try it too i contacted him on: odiaherbalcenter@yahoo.com. and him told me how to get his herbal medicine, and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using it all my pains stop gradually . Right now i want to tell you all that i just give birth to a baby boy last month,and on till now' i have not had any pain, and i just went for text last week and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of any fibroid in my system. after 8 year of suffering from fibroid am now free, Glory be to God for leading me to this great Dr ODIA I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that their is no herbal cure for fibroid that is Not true ,just contact him and get cure his email odiaherbalcenter@yahoo.com and you will be free and free forever, Try it and you will not regret it because it truly works. i hope to see your testimony soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting approach to the subject, it's all good, you keep going!
    Dentist Clapham Junction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, my name is RITA CARMEN and I have been trying to get pregnant for over 12 years. i have been looking for ways online for so long, I first did Depo Provera Shot which i consecutively took every three months in order to get pregnant or fertile, but there was no way from it. I did Depo shot for 3 years constantly until my Doctors in Australia told me to try IVF because I had Endometriosis stage 4 and I resulted to try IVF (In Vitro Fertilization). For months after my IVF no progressed and my situation became worse that my husband had already had plans or getting married to another woman because I was barren. I read a testimony about Prophet Abulele how he had helped so many women with pregnancy problems and also how he usually casts return spells to bring back partner and make one fertile. Of all options tried, I gave Prophet Abulele a try. I am now a mother of a baby boy. For over 13 years of my marriage I received my help from this spell caster. I want to impact on someone's life and make the person get help from a good spell caster. Prophet Abulele's email is:- prophetabulelehealingtemple@gmail.com and his WhatsApp is +2349022406159 once you contact him, he will help you fast.

    ReplyDelete

© Dolly Bow Bow | Fashion and Beauty Blog. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig